Configure the Firewall
ISL Conference Proxy requires several TCP ports to operate properly. We advise you to open ports 80, 443 and 7615 in your firewall.
If you have a web server running on ports 80, 443 or both of them, ISL Conference Proxy notifies you about binding errors on all conflicting ports. Depending on your situation, there are a three ways to resolve this issue:
a) Assign a separate IP address to ISL Conference Proxy
This is the best option, since ISL Conference Proxy will have all three ports available for its services, allowing most users to connect.
There are two ways you can achieve this:
- You can contact your ISP about obtaining an additional IP and then bind your web server to the first IP and ISL Conference Proxy to the second IP.
Note: If your server does not have a graphical user interface, you can use the command confproxyctl bindip to bind ISL Conference Proxy to a different IP.
- You can install install ISL Conference Proxy on another server which is reachable from the internet and does not have a web server running.
b) Disable the web server if you do not need it
Some installations of Windows or Linux have a default web server running. To disable Microsoft IIS, please go to Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Internet Information Services, select Default Web Site and click Stop. Please refer to Microsoft IIS documentation for more information.
For instructions on disabling a web server on your Linux installation, please refer to your Linux distribution's documentation.
c) Configure ISL Conference Proxy so that it will coexist with your web server
If it is not possible for you to use one of the above two ways, you can still use ISL Conference Proxy running only on port 7615.
Note: Important: This can prevent users behind restrictive firewalls (e.g. those that allow only port 80) from connecting to your ISL Conference Proxy server!
Another option, which might work in some cases, is to configure ISL Conference Proxy to use some other standard ports, e.g. 21 (FTP), 110 (POP3) or 143 (IMAP).
To set the ports that ISL Conference Proxy uses, please go to your ISL Conference Proxy administration (http://localhost:7615/conf), login as user admin and password asd and then go to Configuration - General - HTTPT ports. You will need to restart ISL Conference Proxy.
Please refer to the list below for more information on the ports that ISL Conference Proxy uses and open some additional ports (e.g. 7616 if using a grid setup, 7612 if you plan to use ISL Light 2) in your firewall if needed:
- TCP port 7615 [required], the main transport port
Most of the Proxy functionality is available through the main transport port:
- web administration on link http://confProxy:7615/conf
- ISL Light 2 session channel
- ISL Light 3 general transport channel
- ISL Pronto, both web chat and ISL Pronto client access
- public download directory on link http://confProxy:7615/files/
- XML database manipulation interface on link http://confProxy:7615/xmlmsg
- TCP ports 80 and 443 [recommended]
An alias for the main transport port, intended for normal ISL Pronto traffic and connections from strictly firewalled networks.
- TCP port 7612 [required for ISL Light 2 users]
Control channel port for ISL Light Desk 2, provided for backward compatibility with ISL Light 2.
- TCP port 7616 [required for GRID]
Inter-server transport port, used for multiple ISL Conference Proxy server installations.